The Cairo Opera House reopened after four month of closure for Covid-19 pandemic and arranged an open-air concert attended by 400 visitors amid strict measures to prevent the Coronavirus infections.
Egyptian Culture Ministry spokesman Mohamed Mounir said, "The organization has been a success and all anti-coronavirus precautionary measures have been strictly implemented."
He also informed that Culture Minister Inas Abdel-Dayem also attended the concert on Thursday.
Egypt is the first Arab and African country to resume the opera house activities since the outbreak of the pandemic, Mounir added.
The concert included performances of famous traditional Egyptian songs and music, with most of the band members having medical face masks on.
Cairo Opera House activities were suspended over the past four months as part of the country's efforts to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The country has recently lifted a partial nighttime curfew imposed over the past three months, and reopened restaurants, cafes, theaters and cinemas, as well as hotels, museums and archeological sites for tourists, all with limited capacity.
Egypt has so far confirmed 79,254 COVID-19 cases, including 3,617 deaths and 22,753 recoveries.
Egypt and China have been cooperating closely in fighting the pandemic through exchanging medical aid and expertise.
As for cultural cooperation, Egyptian and Chinese orchestras held in June a joint online concert to mark the 64th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between China and Egypt.
International students have become worried as federal immigration authorities notified colleges this week that international students must leave the U.S. or transfer to another college if their schools operate entirely online this fall.
They said the new immigration policy could potentially cost them their visas and they feel stuck between being unnecessarily exposed during the coronavirus pandemic and being able to finish their studies in America.
The students from countries as diverse as India, China and Brazil say they are scrambling to devise plans after federal immigration authorities notification.
If they don’t leave the country, colleges were asked to transfer them to another college if their schools operate entirely online this fall, they said.
Some of the students said they are thinking about returning home or moving to nearby Canada.
Batuhan Mekiker, a Ph.D. student from Turkey studying computer science at Montana State University in Bozeman, said “I’m generating research, I’m doing work in a great economy.”
”If I go to Turkey, I would not have that,” he said. “I would like to be somewhere where my talent is appreciated.”
Mathias, a Seattle-based student, on condition of not using his last name for fear of losing his immigration status, said he is set to sell his car, break his lease, and get his cat Louis permission to fly back to his home in Paris in the next two weeks.
“Everyone’s very worried,” he said adding that “We have our whole lives here.”
Many American universities have come to depend on the revenue from more than 1 million international students, who typically pay higher tuition.
President Donald Trump has insisted that schools and colleges return to in-person instruction as soon as possible — and some universities have accused the administration of issuing the guidelines to force the schools into reopening.
Trump has alleged that schools are being kept closed for political reasons.
Meanwhile, Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology filed a lawsuit this week to block the decision.
The guidance was released the same day Harvard announced it would keep all undergraduate classes online this fall and several graduate schools have said they would as well.
The university says the directive would prevent many of its 5,000 international students from remaining in the U.S.
The University of Southern California sent a letter to students and faculty, saying “It’s deeply troubled by the decision.”
“The policy could negatively impact countless international students,” it said.
Gangstar Vikas Dubey was killed in an encounter with police and STF in Kanpur early Friday, eight days after the Bikru village incident where eight policemen were killed.
The encounter took place near Sachendi area, two kms off the district headquarters, according to Indian media.
The incident took place when one of the three police vehicles taking Vikas to Kanpur from Ujjain, where he was arrested, overturned following heavy rains near Sachendi on the highway.
Vikas Dubey was killed when he attempted to flee by snatching the pistol of an injured policeman after the car carrying him overturned on highways, said SP west Anil Kumar while talking to reporters.
Police tried to make him surrender, during which he opened fire at them.
India reported another record single-day spike in coronavirus cases, prompting some states to reimpose lockdowns in high-risk areas.
India's total cases stand 793,802 with 26,506 cases reported on Friday.
The Health Ministry also reported another 475 deaths in the past 24 hours, taking total fatalities up to 21,604.
The ministry said the recovery rate was continuing to improve at more than 60%
The eastern state of Bihar reimposed a full lockdown in the state capital Patna and four other districts for a week beginning Friday to curb a surge in cases.
India’s most populous state Uttar Pradesh, with nearly 230 million people, announced a weekend lockdown beginning Friday night. All private shops and businesses across the state will remain closed except pharmacies and shops selling groceries, milk and produce.
Park Won-soon, mayor of South Korea's capital Seoul, was found dead around midnight in Bugaksan mountain in northern Seoul, hours after his daughter filed a missing report to police on Thursday evening.
According to local media, Park's daughter filed the missing report at 5:17 p.m. local time Thursday, saying he "left home four to five hours ago after leaving words like a will and his phone is currently turned off."
About 250 policemen and rescuers had searched the mountain, mobilizing drones and police dogs.
The mayor left his residence in central Seoul at about 10:44 a.m. local time Thursday, wearing black clothes and carrying a black backpack.
His mobile phone signal was last detected near a temple in northern Seoul.