Cupertino, Mar 26 (AP/UNB) — Jumping belatedly into a business dominated by Netflix and Amazon, Apple announced its own TV and movie streaming service Monday, enlisting such superstars as Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Aniston and Steven Spielberg to try to overcome its rivals' head start.
Apple didn't disclose the price or the launch date except to say that Apple TV Plus will be available this fall. It will feature Apple's original shows and movies .
The company also unveiled a news subscription service that will give customers access to roughly 300 magazines and a few major newspapers for $10 a month. And it announced a new branded credit card.
The video-streaming venture is fraught with risk for a company scrambling to diversify beyond its star product, the iPhone, whose sales have started to decline . Netflix, which started its streaming service in 2007, has 139 million subscribers worldwide.
But Apple has lots of money, more than 900 million active iPhones, and a track record for innovation that has enabled it to overtake its rivals, even when it enters a business late, as it did with smartphones, tablets and smartwatches.
In the past, of course, Apple has mostly jumped into relatively small and undeveloped markets. Streaming video, by contrast, is dominated by huge services like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, with more seeming to be bowing into the competition daily, including AT&T's WarnerMedia, Disney and Comcast.
"Great competitors make for great consumer experiences," Netflix said in a statement. Netflix stock rose $5.22 to $366.23 Monday. Apple's stock fell $2.31 to $188.74.
Among the upcoming programs on the new Apple service will be Winfrey-created documentaries; a show about TV morning talk shows, starring Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carell; a futuristic drama starting Momoa; and a sci-fi show called "Amazing Stories" from Spielberg.
Apple TV Plus will be featured in the existing Apple TV app, which brings together different streaming services such as HBO and Showtime and traditional cable subscriptions.
Video will be delivered to iPhones and iPads, Apple's own Apple TV device, smart TVs and, soon, streaming gadgets from Roku and Amazon.
Netflix, which isn't included in the Apple TV app, has turned "binge watching" into a worldwide phenomenon become a powerhouse in both Silicon Valley and Hollywood since it shifted its emphasis on original programming in 2013..
Apple was long focused on making on gadgets: iPhones, iPads, computers. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs toyed with the idea of building a powerful TV business but couldn't pull it off before his death in 2011. It has taken his successor, CEO Tim Cook, nearly eight years to draw up the plan the company will now try to execute.
"Apple is very late to this game," eMarketer analyst Paul Verna said. "Netflix has become the gold standard in how to create and distribute content, using all the data they have about their viewers."
Industry analyst Colin Gillis of Chatham Road Partners said Apple TV Plus is "not going to be a Netflix killer." And Martin Garner of CCS Insights said the service so far lacks "the full range and diversity of content available through Netflix, Amazon and others."
Several analysts, however, warned not to count Apple out.
Apple has reportedly spent more than $1 billion on its original TV shows and movies — far less than Netflix and HBO spend every year. It has plenty of money to spend, though, with about $245 billion in cash and marketable securities.
As part of its effort to catch up, Apple hired two longtime Sony television executives in 2017. They have signed up stars such as Spielberg, Ron Howard and Sofia Coppola.
Winfrey received a standing ovation during her appearance at Apple's announcement Monday in Cupertino.
"I'm joining forces with Apple," she said. "They're in a billion pockets, y'all."
Apple News Plus, the news subscription service, will include such major papers as The Wall Street Journal and the Los Angeles Times. Other major newspaper publishers have reportedly been wary of Apple's terms.
The Journal will feature general-interest articles, not its entire slate of stories, although Apple said any article the Journal publishes could be searched for on the Apple app.
Apple said advertisers won't track readers inside the app. That will distinguish it from Facebook and Google, the other major online news hubs.
The company's new Mastercard credit card, called Apple Card, won't have any late fees or annual fees and will offer 2 percent cash back.
Boston, Mar 26 (AP/UNB) — In a sophisticated targeted espionage operation, hackers infected tens of thousands of computers from the Taiwanese vendor ASUS with malicious software using the company's online automatic update service, security researchers reported Monday.
Kaspersky Lab said it detected 57,000 infections among customers of its antivirus software. It estimates that the exploit likely affected more than 1 million computers from the world's No. 5 computer company .
The malware was designed to open a "backdoor" for intruders in the infected machines, researchers said.
About 50 percent of the affected Kaspersky anti-virus software customers were in Russia, Germany and France, the company said . The U.S. accounted for less than 5 percent.
A Symantec spokeswoman said about 13,000 of its antivirus customers received the malicious updates.
The so-called supply-chain attack was first reported by the online news site Motherboard.
Kaspersky said the infected software was on ASUS's Live Update servers from June to November and was signed with legitimate certificates. It did not detect the malware until January, when new capabilities were added to its anti-virus software, the company said.
Kaspersky said its researchers determined that the malware was programmed for surgical espionage when they saw that it was designed to accept a second malware payload for specific computers based on unique identifiers of their network connections. It identified more than 600 computers programmed to receive the payload.
In a blog post and answers to emailed questions, the company said the nature of the second malware payload was unknown because the server that delivered it was no longer active.
Kaspersky said that while is too early to know who was behind the operation, it is consistent with a 2017 incident blamed by Microsoft on a Chinese state-backed group the company calls BARIUM.
ASUS did not immediately respond to two emailed requests seeking comment.
Dhaka, Mar 25 (UNB) – Mentioning that the country’s energy sector will need 1,000 efficient engineers in the next five years, State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid has lamented that the country is not getting promising engineers due to brain drain.
“But we’re not getting those promising engineers due to brain drain,” he said while addressing a seminar on robotic technology at Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) on Tuesday.
'Centre for Robotic Innovation & Development USA (CRID USA)' organised the programme titled: “The Future of Robotics: Challenges and Opportunities for Bangladesh” in association with Buet’s Mechanical Engineering department at the university’s Council Building.
The seminar was also addressed by eminent scientist and former professor of Dhaka University Dr Shamsher Ali and Professor Ashraful Islam of the Mechanical Engineering department and Channel i director Shykh Siraj.
Nasrul Hamid said new technologies will help boost economic development. “New technologies are creating new job opportunities. It can never become a barrier to employment. Rather, technology enhances work efficiency resulting in increased output,” he said.
The state minister said Bangladesh is advancing with increased utilisation of technologies.
He observed that the potentials of robotics are very bright.
Nasrul Hamid said research works should be encouraged at different educational institutions and the government will continue its support for such initiative.
Making a presentation on the topic, president and founder of CRID USA, Mehedi Hasan said it needs financial support for research and training works.
He said it needs government’s policy support for development of robotics and technology. “The private sector should come forward to support initiatives in the research and training,” he said.
Dhaka, Mar 25 (UNB)-One of the leading tech company Huawei exhibited its much-talked-about foldable smartphone Mate X with 5G facility in the country for journalists.
Huawei launched its first-ever foldable smartphone -- Huawei Mate X – in a programme held on sidelines of MWC 2019 (Mobile World Congress) at Barcelona in Spain.
This gala exhibition event was held at the Hotel Westin in Dhaka on Sunday while on the same day, Huawei Consumer Business Group of Bangladesh announced to launch its remarkably vibrant and slim smartwatch GT.
Kelvin Yang, country director of Huawei Consumer Business Group (Bangladesh), and other high officials were present in the event.
Huawei demonstrated the Mate X for journalists and invited guests like a preview session to get an exclusive experience, a special chance to know and reveal its unique features.
Last year, Huawei unveiled its smartwatch GT globally that attracts tech lover’s attention. GT offers some intelligent features along with heart beat monitor, activity tracking, GPS and other smart facilities. This new design provides a 2-week battery life.
Kelvin Yang, country director of Huawei Consumer Business Group (Bangladesh), said, “Huawei always gives well attention to Bangladesh market. Thus, we displayed Huawei’s revolutionary 5G foldable smartphone Mate X in Bangladesh following the global event. Also, we will provide smartwatch GT in Bangladesh very soon.”
Huawei Mate X features a 6.6-inch display panel which extends to an 8-inch display when unfolded. The phone is manufactured on a 7 nm architecture process. Leica camera was added in Mate X with latest camera technology.
In addition to high-frequency millimeter (MM) wave spectrum, the BELONG 5000 chipsets are available to download up to 4.6 GB per second.
Dhaka, Mar 25 (UNB)- Local brand Walton has released its new 4G smartphone- ‘Primo H8’ in country’s tech market.
Customers will get discounts of Tk 1000 and purchase the device that features 3 GB RAM along with various attractive features at Tk 6,999 from its own online sales platform E-Plaza.
Asifur Rahman Khan, Chief of Walton Cellular Phone sales department, said that the regular price of the new smartphone is Tk 7,999. However, customers will get discount of taka 1,000 on online purchasing from March 26 to March 31, 2019.
They can order the new device from http://eplaza.waltonbd.com and will get the phone within 24-48 hours. Free delivery will be provided within 10 kilometers of the nearest Walton Plaza.
Attractively designed, the Primo H8 comes in three different colors- Midnight Blue, Rose Gold and Twilight Blue and features a 5.45-inch full-view HD+ IPS display with 1440X720 pixel screen resolutions. It sports a 1.3 GHz Quad Core processor, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB internal storage (expandable up to 64 GB) and PowerVR Rogue GE8100 GPU along with 3,200 mAh battery.
Runs on Android 8:1 Oreo operating system, the new device features 8-megapixel auto focus rear Sony camera with LED flash. It also sports another 8-megapixel front facing Omnivision selfie camera.
Some other attractive features of the dual-SIM supported phone is face unlock, fingerprint sensor and OTG support, full HD video playback etc.
Customers will also enjoy instant replacement warranty for 30 days for the phone along with one-year regular service warranty.