Sources close to the selection committee of Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) said 27 players have been given government orders (GO) to travel to Sri Lanka.
The series, however, is still in jeopardy as Sri Lankan health authorities are reluctant to ease quarantine restriction for the Tigers which BCB had asked for earlier.
As per Sri Lanka’s regulation, everyone who enters the island nation will have to maintain a strict 14-day quarantine. But BCB asked Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) to reduce this period to seven days. SLC said they have no problem with this but the health authorities refused the proposal of SLC, throwing the series into jeopardy.
This week, BCB President Nazmul Hassan told the media that if Sri Lanka stays firm on their current regulation of a mandatory 14-day quarantine, Bangladesh might not continue with the tour.
At this stage, Namal Rajapaksa, the cabinet minister of youth affairs and sports of Sri Lanka, urged SLC to negotiate with the health department so that they find a way to ease the restriction and make the series happens.
SLC also came up with a new idea of two-country quarantine. Tigers can stay isolated for seven days in Bangladesh before flying to Sri Lanka and complete another seven-day isolation after reaching the island nation.
But this idea seems to be nearly impossible one. Neither the health department of Sri Lanka nor BCB have so far said anything about the idea.
Despite uncertainty over the tour, BCB is preparing the squad as it was planned earlier. But the ongoing individual and small group training programme is on hold for three days. It will resume on September 20.