The health authorities of India has reported 52,972 fresh cases in the last 24 hours on Monday, bringing the total cases to 1,803,695.
According to data released by the Health ministry, some 771 people have died during this period, taking the total deaths to 38,135.
A total of 1,186,203 people have been cured and discharged across the country so far, while 579,357 active cases are being treated in hospitals, report Xinhua.
India is focusing on ramping up testing of samples.
A total of 20,202,858 samples have been tested till Sunday, with 381,027 samples tested on Sunday alone.
Monday was the fifth consecutive day when more than 50,000 fresh cases were found in the country.
They included Home Minister Amit Shah, Governor of the southern state Tamil Nadu Banwarilal Purohit, Chief Minister of southern state Karnataka B.S. Yediyurappa, president of Uttar Pradesh unit of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Swatantra Dev Singh.
On Sunday, a female minister in northern state of Uttar Pradesh died of COVID-19. She was the first serving minister and fourth lawmaker across all states to die of COVID-19.
Meanwhile, as the country is witnessing a single-day spike of over 50,000 cases over the past five days, the situation has improved in the capital state of Delhi. Once the second most-affected state after Maharashtra, it now stands at eighth position in terms of single day spike in cases.
India's Home Minister and Prime Minister Narendra Modi's closest political ally-bar-none, ex-president of the BJP Amit Shah tested positive for COVID-19, he himself confirmed through a tweet on Sunday.
He appealed to all those who came into his contact to test themselves for COVID-19.
"Experiencing some symptoms I got myself tested for COVID-19 and have been found positive. I am feeling healthy but on the advice of doctors I am admitting myself to a hospital," tweeted Shah.
He advised those who came into his contact in the past few days to immediately isolate themselves and get tested.
Earlier in the day, a lady minister in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh had died of COVID-19 infection.
India’s coronavirus caseload crossed 1.75 million with another spike of 54,735 in the past 24 hours.
The new cases are down from 57,118 on Saturday.
The Health Ministry on Sunday also reported 853 deaths for a total of 37,364.
Randeep Guleria, a top government expert, said that New Delhi and Mumbai may have crossed their peak levels with declining trends.
The month of July alone has accounted for more than 1.1 million cases in India.
Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said the case fatality rate was progressively reducing and currently stands at 2.18%, one of the lowest globally. Out of the total active cases, only 0.28% are on ventilators, 1.61% need intensive care support and 2.32% oxygen support.
At least ten people have died after consuming sanitizer as an alternative to liquor in Praksasam district of India’s Andhra Pradesh.
The incident took place at Kurichedu village of the district. With all the liquor shops closed amid coronavirus pandemic, the ten sipped hand sanitizer freely available in medical shops, The Hindu reports quoting police sources.
Two of them died on Thursday night while the rest died this morning.
On information, police went to the spot and seized some empty sanitizer bottles.
When asked, a survivor disclosed that they had been consuming hand sanitizer for the last few days being failed to get liquor.
The Hong Kong government will postpone highly anticipated legislative elections by one year, citing a worsening coronavirus outbreak in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.
Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam announced the decision on Friday. Lam said the government has the support of the Chinese government in making the decision.
The Hong Kong government is invoking an emergency ordinance in delaying the elections.
“The announcement I have to make today is the most difficult decision I’ve had to make in the past seven months,” Lam said at a news conference.
“We want to ensure fairness and public safety and health, and need to make sure the election is held in an open, fair and impartial manner. This decision is therefore essential,” she said.
The postponement is a setback for the pro-democracy opposition, which was hoping to capitalize on disenchantment with the current pro-Beijing majority to make gains. A group of 22 lawmakers issued a statement ahead of the announcement accusing the government of using the outbreak as an excuse to delay the vote.
“Incumbent pro-democracy legislators, who represent 60% of the public’s opinion, collectively oppose the postponement and emphasize the responsibility of the SAR government to make every effort to arrange adequate anti-epidemic measures to hold elections in September as scheduled,” the statement said, referring to the territory's official name, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
“Otherwise, it is tantamount to uprooting the foundation of the establishment of the SAR.”
The city of 7.5 million people has had a surge in coronavirus infections since the beginning of July. Hong Kong has recorded 3,273 infections as of Friday, more than double the tally on July 1.
The government has tightened social distancing restrictions, limiting public gatherings to two people, and banned dining-in at restaurants after 6 p.m.
The lead-up to the elections has been closely watched, after a national security law that took effect in late June stipulated that candidates who violated the law would be barred from running.
The new law is seen as Beijing’s attempt to curb dissent in the city, after months of pro-democracy and anti-government protests in Hong Kong last year.
On Thursday, 12 pro-democracy candidates including prominent pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong were disqualified from running for not complying with the city's mini-constitution or pledging allegiance to the local and national governments.