A tribunal here on Monday sentenced six people to life imprisonment for killing a local businessman in Botiaghata upazila in the district in 2007.
The convicted six are: Moniruzzaman Ghorami, Humayun Sardar, Jahangir Sardar, Enamul Sheikh, Quader Sheikh, and Pintu Sheikh.
The court acquitted two other accused as allegations brought against them could not be proved.
According to the prosecution, the accused intercepted Ripon Roy, 19, a CD shop owner, while he was on his way home at Goriadanga in Botiaghata upazila on April 1, 2007 and slaughtered him with sharp weapons over a prevailing feud.
They left the grievously injured Ripon‘s body on the road and fled, said the court’s bench clerk Md Sayedul Haque Shahin.
Victim’s father filed a murder case with Botiaghata Police Station, he added.
Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police on July 20, 2010 submitted a chargesheet against eight accused in the case.
The Rakhain community in Rangamati formed a human chain on Monday demanding an eviction drive at Rakhain Polli in Cox’s Bazar be called off protest.
The hour-long human chain was formed in front of the Deputy Commissioner’s office in Sadar upazila.
Speakers who were part of the human chain said the houses, temples, and even the cremation ground of the ethnic community of Choufaldandi union in Sadar upazila of Cox’s Bazar district had been acquired by the local Water Development Board through what they described as illegal means, for the construction of a Super Dyke in the coastal area of the district.
An eviction drive is being conducted in the area to free the land. A total of 120 families’ houses, three cremation grounds and three Buddhist viharas of the Rakhain community will be demolished during the drive, said Uchincha Rakhain, while presiding over the programme.
The government has taken a project to build a super dyke on the Chattogram-Cox’s Bazar coast under its ‘Delta Plan’ project for sustainable development and ensuring security of the coastal areas.
They also demanded an alternative plan for the project from the government.
The High Court on Monday stayed for six months the results of the primary assistant teacher recruitment tests of 14 districts.
The HC bench of Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Md Mahmud Hassan Talukder passed the order following a petition filed by a lawyer.
It also issued a rule asking the government to explain as to why the publication of the results of the recruitment tests should not be declared illegal.
Primary and mass education secretary, director general of the Directorate of Primary Education (DPE), district education officers and others concerned of the 14 districts have been made respondents to the rule which is returnable in four weeks.
The 14 districts are Mymensingh, Netrakona, Noakhali, Patuakhali, Madaripur, Sirajganj, Naogaon, Chapainawabganj, Habiganj, Jashore, Satkhira, Tangail, Thakurgaon and Barguna.
Advocate Mohammad Asad Uddin stood for the petitioner while Deputy Attorney General Bipul Bagmar represented the state.
Advocate Asaduzzaman said according to the section 7 of Government Primary School Teacher Recruitment rules 2013, 60 percent posts are kept aside for women candidates while 20 percent for dependents and the rest 20 percent for male candidates.
As the rules were not maintained, he, on behalf of 46 teachers, filed the petition challenging the publication of the results.
On January 15, the High Court stayed the results of the primary assistant teacher recruitment test of Nilphamari and Barguna districts published on December 24.
On the same day, the recruitment process of Naogaon and Bhola were also suspended for the same reason.
The government on July 30, 2019, published a circular for recruiting assistant teachers across the country.
A total of 24 lakh candidates applied for the posts. The written tests were held in four phases – on May 24, May 31, June 21 and June 28 -- last year.
Some 55,295 people came out successful in the written tests while 18,147 qualified for the posts after the viva-voce tests in 61 districts.
Speakers at a seminar on telecom transmission network have blamed the lack of a specific policy on tariffs for depriving netizens of the level of service they may expect for the price they pay.
They said the nationwide telecom transmission network (NTTN) operating companies are charging the local ISPs (internet service providers) arbitrarily highly while the ISPs are in turn passing it on to the end users.
This chain of overpaying is perpetuated by the absence of a specific policy or even any rules and regulations in this regard.
Bangladesh Mobile Phone Consumers Association (BMPCA) organised the seminar titled: “Role and Challenge of NTTN Operators: Ways to Overcome” at Dhaka Reporters Unity on Monday.
BMPCA President Mohiuddin Ahmed made a keynote presentation at the seminar which was also addressed, among others, by Chief Coordinator of Gano Sanghati Andolon Zonayed Saki, Moinul Haque Siddiqui, chairman of FiberHome, which claims to have been the first NTTN operator in the country, former director of Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission Dr. Quamruzzaman, and Power Grid Company of Bangladesh director M Ashraf Hossain.
Presenting the keynote paper, Mohiuddin Ahmed alleged that BTRC had failed to execute its regulatory role of settling the tariff issues between the NTTN operators and local ISPs.
As a result, the consumers are forced to keep paying higher rates even after the government took steps to reduce the overall cost of availing internet services, he said.
He also observed that only 5 percent of the ISPs are using the network of two NTTN service operators, with most setting up their own networks using overhead cables which pose hazards to residents where they are used.
“This indiscipline in overhead cables is posing a great threat to the environment,” Mohiuddin also said.
According to Mohiuddin, only BTRC has the authority to settle the issue by formulating a specific policy guideline that both sides will then be obliged to follow.
Zonayed Saki said the BTRC officials have no sense of responsibility for ensuring proper telecom services towards the people.
“That’s why they are not interested to settle the issue,” Saki observed.
Moinul Haque Siddiqui said that the NTTN companies are now working to achieve the government’s targets geared to what is known as the Fourth Industrial Revolution – the idea that the original Industrial Revolution, which was tied to the invention of the steam engine in the 18th century and generally led to huge advances in manufacturing processes – has since gone on to encompass two more periods of massive transformation and growth, and the world is currently in the throes of a Fourth such period.
As part of worldwide celebrations, the Chinese New Year 2020 was celebrated at the Bangladesh-China Friendship Exhibition Center here on Sunday.
The event was jointly organised by Yunnan Provincial Department of Culture and Tourism and the Chinese Embassy in Bangladesh. Chinese Ambassador to Bangladesh Li Jiming inaugurated the event.
Speaking at the programme, the Chinese Ambassador said Bangladesh-China is now passing through a very good time in terms of friendly ties between the two nations. The two countries have now become strategic partners and the mutual cooperation between the nations is increasing.
“Around 37,000 Bangladeshis travelled to China last year while 5,000 Bangladeshi students have gone to the country for studies,” he said.
Li Jiming also said their country will show the highest respect towards the best ever son of Bangalee nation and Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on the occasion of his birth centenary this year.
At the same time, the completion of 45 years’ diplomatic relations between China and Bangladesh will also be celebrated this year.
Later, artists from Xinjiang Art Troupe of China enthralled the guests with their spectacular performance for nearly two and a half hours. Chinese people living in Bangladesh also enjoyed the event.
The event featured a blend of traditional Chinese dance and music, Chinese oriental culture and Muslim culture.
Besides, an exhibition of the intangible cultural heritage of Yunnan province and a photo exhibition were also there at the programme.
New Year is a very important traditional festival to Chinese. The 4,000-year-old event is also known as the Spring Festival. The Chinese New Year has become a separate global stage as a way of depicting Chinese culture. The festival is celebrated in about 400 cities of 130 countries every year.