India has pulled up Twitter over its location setting that showed Leh as part of Jammu and Kashmir instead of a separate central government-controlled territory in the north.
Last year, the Indian Parliament passed a law to carve out Ladakh, the capital of Leh, as a central government-controlled territory, separate from the rest of Jammu and Kashmir, which was also designated as a federal region.
UNB has learnt that the Indian government has asked Twitter to explain in a week why legal action should not be initiated against the micro-blogging platform for misrepresentation of the country's map.
"The notice for disrespecting the territorial integrity of India by showing the incorrect map, has been sent to Jack Dorsey, who owns Twitter," sources said, adding that the government could block access to Twitter under the Information Technology Act.
A Twitter spokesperson told the media, "Twitter remains committed to partnering with the Government of India and Ministry of Electronics and IT to serve the public conversation. Duly responded to the letter and as part of our correspondence, shared a comprehensive update with latest developments regarding geo-tag issue."
This is not the first time that Twitter has come under fire. Last month too, the Indian government warned the platform of strong action after its map showed Leh in China. The warning promoted Twitter to make the necessary changes.
Delhi-based communications professional Nazia Nasim on Wednesday night became the first Muslim woman in India to get the maiden ‘crorepati’ title in this season's popular TV show Kaun Banega Crorepati, the Indian version of British programme Who Wants to Be A Millionaire.
After crossing the milestone, Nazia also attempted the jackpot 7 crore Indian rupees question, but eventually decided to quit the show with 1 crore Indian rupees in her kitty. The ultimate question was -- "Where did Indian freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose launch his Azad Hind Force in Singapore?".
Kaun Banega Crorepati, hosted by Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan, was launched in 2000 and it has become one of the most watched shows on Indian TV over the years. Its popularity is mainly because of Bachchan, who enjoys mass appeal in India.
Contestants can win up to 7 crore Indian rupees by playing Kaun Banega Crorepati. They are asked questions one by one, and four options are given for each question, from which the correct answer must be chosen. For this, the contestants are also given four lifelines, including expert advice and video call a friend, that they can use if the answer is not known.
Moments before the episode was aired, Sony TV social media pages shared messages from crorepatis of the past, wishing Nazia "the best of luck".
Bachchan, now 78, acted in over 200 Indian films in a career spanning more than five decades. He first gained popularity in the early 1970s for films such as Zanjeer, Deewaar and Sholay, and was dubbed India's "angry young man" for his on-screen roles.
Referred to as the 'Shahenshah' of Bollywood (in reference to his 1988 film Shahenshah), Bachchan is regarded as one of the greatest actors in the history of Indian cinema.
Hong Kong’s pro-democracy lawmakers say they will resign en masse, following a move by the city’s government to disqualify four pro-democracy legislators.
The 19 lawmakers from the opposition camp said Monday that they would move to resign in a show of defiance if any pro-democracy legislators were disqualified. The group is expected to formally announce their resignation in a news conference later Wednesday.
The disqualification of the four legislators came after the National People’s Congress Standing Committee, which held meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday, passed a resolution stating that those who support the city’s independence or refuse to acknowledge China’s sovereignty over the city, as well as commit acts that threaten national security or ask external forces to interfere in the city’s affairs, should be disqualified.
Beijing has in recent months moved to clamp down on opposition voices in Hong Kong with the imposition of a national security law, after months of anti-government protests last year rocked the city.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story is below:
Hong Kong has moved to disqualify four pro-democracy legislators, after Beijing passed a resolution that would allow the local government to remove lawmakers from their positions if they’re deemed to threaten national security.
The disqualification came after the National People’s Congress Standing Committee, which held meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday, passed a resolution stating that those who support the city’s independence or refuse to acknowledge China’s sovereignty over the city, as well as commit acts that threaten national security or ask external forces to interfere in the city’s affairs should be disqualified, according to the state-owned Xinhua News Agency.
The four lawmakers – Alvin Yeung, Dennis Kwok, Kwok Ka-ki and Kenneth Leung – confirmed that they were disqualified in a news conference with the press.
“In terms of legality and constitutionality, obviously from our point of view this is clearly in breach of basic law and our rights to participate in public affairs, and a failure to observe due process,” said Kwok.
On Monday, 19 lawmakers from the pro-democracy camp said they would resign en masse if Beijing moved to disqualify any pro-democracy lawmakers.
A mass resignation by the pro-democracy camp would leave Hong Kong’s legislature with only pro-Beijing lawmakers. The pro-Beijing camp already makes up a majority of the city’s legislature, and would allow lawmakers to pass bills favored by Beijing without opposition.
Earlier in the year, the four now-disqualified pro-democracy lawmakers were barred from running for legislative elections originally scheduled for September, prior to the government stating that it would postpone the elections by a year due to the coronavirus situation. The four lawmakers later remained in their posts following the postponement.
The elections postponement was criticized by the pro-democracy camp as an attempt to block them from taking a majority of seats in the legislature, after they had held an unofficial pro-democracy primary participated in by over 600,000 voters to decide which candidates to field.
Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam is expected to hold a news conference later Wednesday to address the disqualifications.
At least eight labourers were killed and several others injured after the wall of an under-construction factory building collapsed in Basni area of Jodhpur in the western Indian state of Rajasthan on Tuesday.
Search and rescue operations are underway as some more labourers are feared trapped under the debris, police said.
"Late last evening, the roof of an under-construction building collapsed in Phase II of Basni industrial area. Eight people were killed and several others were injured -- some of them critically," a police official said, reports Xinhua.
The incident took place between 5 to 6pm when the workers were working at the site.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot expressed grief over the loss of lives and described the death of labourers as "extremely unfortunate".
Reports said over 16 labourers were present in the building at the time of the accident. The injured have been sent to hospitals.
It was not immediately known what caused the roof to collapse.
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Umesh Ojha said there was a loud sound and about 15 labourers were buried under the debris.
During the rescue operation, the bodies of six labourers were pulled out from the rubble while the injured were rushed to the hospital.
They are undergoing treatment at Mathura Das Mathur Hospital and AIIMS, he said.
Ojha said none of the victims has been identified yet. Some of them are said to have come from other districts and are working under a contractor.
"We’d also look into the matter with regard to any negligence by the civil contractor and register a case against him accordingly," he said.
Meanwhile, the state government has announced compensation of Rs2 lakh for the families of each of the victims.
Investigation into the matter has been handed over to the divisional commissioner, Jodhpur.
Read Also: 8 killed in India building collapse
India on Monday welcomed the US move to take Sudan off a list of state sponsors of terror after almost 27 years and also hailed the African nation's normalisation of ties with Israel.
"India's relations with Sudan are historic and special, and forged on the basis of shared values and close people-to-people contacts. We welcome the removal of Sudan from the List of State Sponsors of Terrorism and Sudan's normalisation of relations with Israel," the Indian External Affairs Ministry said in a statement.
Sudan had been blacklisted by the US since 1993 when al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden lived in that country as a guest of the government. American President Donald Trump had promised to remove Sudan from the list if the latter paid compensation to the tune of USD 335 million to the families of victims of al-Qaeda's 1998 bombing of US embassies in Africa.
India has also welcomed the signing of the Juba peace agreement between Sudan's transitional government and several armed groups, a move aimed at bringing to an end years of civil war that claimed the lives of over a million in the African nation.
"We congratulate the Transitional Government and the people of Sudan on the signing of the Juba Peace Agreement, and hope that these positive developments will usher in democratic changes and contribute to enhancing Sudan's development, peace, security and stability," the Ministry said.
India's engagement with Sudan started taking shape primarily post 2003, when the state-run Oil and Natural Gas Corporation acquired a 25 percent share in the African nation's Greater Nile Petroleum Operating Company. Since then, there has been greater ties between the two countries. India is the second-largest exporter to Sudan, after China.