Dhaka, June 27 (UNB) - A Harry Potter book believed to contain Daniel Radcliffe's first autograph has been sold for £2,600, reports BBC.
The actor, then aged 11, signed the hardback during filming of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in North Yorkshire in 2000.
He told the book's owner - an extra in the film - she was the first person to ask for his signature.
The book, which was also signed by Emma Watson and Rupert Grint, was auctioned by Teesside-based Vectis.
Vectis said the book's owner, Verity Collins, approached Radcliffe as he sat alone in a marquee on set at Goathland on what is believed to have been the first day of filming.
The North Yorkshire village was shown on screen as the fictional Hogsmeade.
He wrote: "To Verity, best wishes Daniel Radcliffe."
Robbie Coltrane, who played Hagrid in the franchise, was another star to give his autograph while the film's director, Chris Columbus, wrote "Believe in magic" as Ms Collins was having chemotherapy to treat leukaemia.
Kathy Taylor, from Vectis, said the book had smashed its "conservative" £500 estimate.
"It's such a lovely story. It's always difficult to gauge the price when something is unique," she said.
"The seller, who now lives in the south, has great memories of her time on the film and the way the cast treated her during a difficult time while she was ill but her mum said recently it had been sitting in a drawer.
"It became apparent when we promoted the sale on social media it was likely to have been signed on the first day of filming on what was the first Harry Potter film, with actor Chris Rankin, who played Percy Weasley, confirming he had signed the book as well."
Sold alongside the book were photographs of Ms Collins wearing a Hogwarts school uniform, cast documents and her invite to Leavesden Studios for a tour of sets used in the film.
In addition to the hammer price of £2,600, the buyer will pay an additional 25% commission - taking the total to £3,250.
Los Angeles, June 27 (AP/UNB) — The conservatorship that oversees Britney Spears' personal life and career sued the creator of a blog devoted to the pop superstar Wednesday in an increasingly aggressive effort to push back against the so-called "Free Britney" movement, which alleges the singer is being controlled against her will.
The lawsuit filed in Los Angeles alleges that Anthony Elia, who runs the website Absolute Britney, has falsely claimed the court-ordered conservatorship has manipulated Spears' Instagram account to make her appear more troubled and in need of help than she actually is.
"It is time for the conspiracy theories about Britney Spears' well-being and the mob #FreeBritney movement to stop," the lawsuit states in its opening line.
Elia's blog and its social media accounts have played a key role in the "Free Britney" phenomenon, a group of fans who say on social media and in public protests that the singer is being controlled against her will by her father Jaime, who serves as her conservator, and that she is surreptitiously seeking help to free herself.
The suit alleges that Elia "has made it his mission to spread false and malicious lies on the internet about Britney, her conservatorship and her team, including that those around Britney are harming her and not acting in her best interests."
A message sent through the blog and an email seeking comment from Elia were not immediately returned.
The suit comes two weeks after the conservatorship for similar reasons sought and received a five-year restraining order against Spears' former manager Sam Lutfi. It prohibits him from trying to undermine the conservatorship by contacting members of the Spears family or writing disparaging posts on social media.
A conservatorship, known in some states as a guardianship, is normally reserved for those who are severely debilitated. One was established for Spears 11 years ago during her very public meltdown, and has been kept in place ever since. The arrangement has increasingly come under attack from fans, who have grown especially loud about it in recent months.
Spears has offered little public comment on the conservatorship. At her request, she addressed the judge who oversees it in court last month. The hearing was closed and it's not clear what Spears said, but the judge ordered a court review of her situation before another hearing in September.
The suit focuses on a June 14 Absolute Britney Instagram post that alleges the conservatorship was seeking to manipulate Britney Spears' Instagram account.
"Britney's team is deleting positive comments on her Instagram post and leaving negative ones to keep up the illusion that she needs help!" the post says. "This has to be a human rights violation!!!!"
The post, which the suit calls "false and defamatory," was discussed by bigger blogs and some media outlets. Elia shared some of those reports.
The suit seeks unspecified damages and a court injunction permanently prohibiting Elia from spreading information on the subject.
Spears' has put her career on hold for most of the year.
In January she postponed a planned Las Vegas residency indefinitely to be with her father, who was hospitalized after a serious surgery.
And in April she announced in an Instagram post that she was taking time off to focus on self-care.
New York, Jun 26 (AP/UNB) — Netflix's announcement that NBC's hit show "The Office" will be pulled from its lineup after 2020 and head to NBCUniversal's upcoming service is the latest example of jockeying between streaming services that is set to heat up as they bulk up their TV and movie offerings to attract users.
In a tweet Tuesday, Netflix said it was "sad" that NBC was taking back the show but added it will still be on Netflix for the next year and a half.
As people abandon traditional pay TV providers like cable, services like Netflix and Hulu have benefited by offering viewers TV shows from traditional networks. But content makers like NBC Universal, Disney and Warner Media are entering the game and will likely take back much of their own shows and movies.
Honolulu, Jun 24 (AP/UNB) — The wife of reality TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman is in a medically induced coma, a report said.
Beth Chapman is in the intensive care unit of Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Sunday.
A representative for the family released a statement Saturday night saying that only immediate family have been given access to the 51-year-old.
The Chapmans starred in the reality TV series "Dog the Bounty Hunter" and recently appeared in "Dog & Beth: On the Hunt," both of which were filmed in Hawaii.
Chapman was diagnosed with lung cancer in September 2017 and said in November that the cancer had returned despite surgery.
Chapman was hospitalized in April because of fluid accumulation in her lungs and underwent a procedure to relieve pressure, the family said.
The couple's Da Kine Bail Bonds office in Honolulu and a storefront for a Dog the Bounty Hunter shop closed in January.
The family asked the general public to "please pray for Beth" while also sending "sincere thanks to everyone for their prayers throughout Beth's battle with cancer," the statement said.
Dhaka, June 23 (UNB) - Actor Robert Wuhl has revealed that Michael Keaton was “firmly against” the casting of Michelle Pfeiffer as Vick Vale in 1989’s Batman, reports The Indian Express.
Wuhl, who essayed the role Alexander Knox in the film, said the reason behind Keaton’s decision was his past relationship with Pfeiffer.
“To put a little fly in the ointment, Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer had previously dated and broken up. At the time, Michael told me he was trying to get back with his ex-wife. Keaton was firmly, and underline firmly, against that casting of Pfeiffer and he and Peters got into it,” Wuhl told The Hollywood Reporter in an interview to mark the film’s 30th anniversary.
Kim Basinger was unanimously approved by the creative team as Pfeiffer’s replacement and was immediately asked to fly to the set.