TikTok on Monday filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration over an executive order banning any US transactions with its parent company ByteDance.
President Donald Trump, Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and US Department of Commerce were listed as defendants, according to the 39-page indictment acquired by Xinhua.
According to the document, the video-sharing social networking company accused the US authorities of stripping the rights of the company without any evidence to justify the extreme action, and issuing the order without any due process as guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment.
Meanwhile, the Los Angeles-based tech firm argued that the executive order is a misuse of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), authorising the prohibition of activities that have not been found to be "an unusual and extraordinary threat" in this case.
The executive order was issued "for political reasons rather than because of an 'unusual and extraordinary threat' to the United States, which is a condition for the President to exercise his authority" under the IEEPA, TikTok noted.
The plaintiffs, TikTok Inc and ByteDance Ltd, seek a declaratory judgment and order invalidating and enjoining the executive order and any implementing regulations issued by the Department of Commerce later.
"The President's executive order is unconstitutional and ultra vires, and must be enjoined," the document read.
Republicans formally nominated President Donald Trump as the party’s presidential candidate at the 2020 Republican National Convention (RNC) in Charlotte, North Carolina on Monday, reports Xinhua.
Trump arrived at the Charlotte Convention Center in the afternoon.
Over 300 delegates met in person for a roll call vote to formally nominate him and Vice President Mike Pence.
"I felt an obligation to come to North Carolina," Trump told the delegates inside a ballroom during the unannounced trip. "It's a place that has been very good to me."
In rally-style remarks, the president touted achievements of his first term, focused on his administration's response to the pandemic, again attacked mail-in voting, and lashed out at Democrats who held their national convention virtually last week and some media outlets' coverage of the RNC.
He also touched upon a series of policy priorities for the next four years if he is re-elected, including creating jobs, cutting taxes, lowering drug prices, and continuing military buildup.
The nomination was part of the four-day RNC themed "Honoring the Great American Story," with each night having a sub-theme.
On Monday, it is "Land of Promise," which a Trump campaign official said honors "the promises President Donald J Trump has kept since his first presidential campaign."
Speakers for the RNC's opening night will include former US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, and the president's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr.
Trump, who is expected to make an appearance on each of the four nights at the RNC, will deliver an acceptance speech on Thursday night from the White House South Lawn.
On Monday, a group of Republicans opposing Trump is holding "Convention on Founding Principles" in Charlotte, a gathering that organisers claimed would be an alternative to the RNC.
More than two dozen former Republican members of Congress, including former Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona, endorsed former US Vice President and 2020 Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden for president on Monday.
"Today, given what we have experienced over the past four years, it's not enough just to register our disapproval of the president," Flake said in a live video on several social media platforms explaining his decision. "We need to elect someone else in his place - someone who will stop the chaos and reverse the damage."
Biden, who formally accepted the Democratic Party's 2020 presidential nomination on the final night of its convention last week, leads Trump by 7.6 percentage points nationally, according to the RealClearPolitics polling average.
Trump, however, has repeatedly dismissed polls showing him falling behind.
Protesters set cars on fire, smashed windows and clashed with officers in riot gear after Kenosha police shot and wounded a Black man, apparently in the back, while responding to a call about a domestic dispute.
Democratic Gov. Tony Evers promptly condemned the shooting Sunday of 29-year-old Jacob Blake, who was hospitalized in serious condition after he was gunned down in front of his three children as he leaned over into his SUV.
Police in the former auto manufacturing center of 100,000 people midway between Milwaukee and Chicago did not immediately disclose the race of the three officers at the scene or say whether Blake was armed, and they released no details on the domestic dispute.
The officers were placed on administrative leave, standard practice in a shooting by police, while the state Justice Department investigates.
The shooting happened at around 5 p.m. and was captured from across the street on cellphone video that was posted online.
In the footage, Blake walks from the sidewalk around the front of his SUV to his driver-side door as officers follow him with their guns pointed and shout at him. As Blake opens the door and leans into the SUV, an officer grabs his shirt from behind and opens fire while Blake has his back turned.
Seven shots can be heard, though it isn’t clear how many struck Blake or how many of the officers fired. During the shooting, a Black woman can be seen screaming in the street and jumping up and down.
“While we do not have all of the details yet,” the governor said in a statement, “what we know for certain is that he is not the first Black man or person to have been shot or injured or mercilessly killed at the hands of individuals in law enforcement in our state or our country.”
Evers indicated he intends to take further action over the shooting.
“I have said all along that although we must offer our empathy, equally important is our action,” the governor said. “In the coming days, we will demand just that of elected officials in our state who have failed to recognize the racism in our state and our country for far too long.”
Pete Deates, president of the Kenosha police union, called Evers’ statement “wholly irresponsible.”
“As always, the video currently circulating does not capture all the intricacies of a highly dynamic incident,” Deates said in a statement. “We ask that you withhold from passing judgment until all the facts are known and released.”
Online court records indicate Kenosha County prosecutors charged Blake on July 6 with third-degree sexual assault, trespassing and disorderly conduct in connection with domestic abuse. An arrest warrant was issued for Blake the following day. The records contain no further details and do not list an attorney for Blake.
In the unrest that followed Sunday night, social media posts showed neighbors gathering in the surrounding streets and shouting at police. Some could be heard chanting, “No justice, no peace!” Others appeared to throw objects at officers and damage police vehicles.
Officers fired tear gas to disperse the crowds.
In a scene that mirrored the widespread protests over the police shootings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and other Black people, marchers headed to the Kenosha County Public Safety Building, which houses the police and sheriff’s departments. Authorities mostly blocked off the building, which was closed on Monday because of damage, authorities said.
Laquisha Booker, who is Blake’s partner, told NBC’s Milwaukee affiliate, WTMJ-TV, that her and Blake’s three children were in the back seat of the SUV when police shot him.
“That man just literally grabbed him by his shirt and looked the other way and was just shooting him. With the kids in the back screaming. Screaming,”
Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, who has represented Floyd’s and Taylor’s families and said he has been retained by Blake’s family, said Blake was “simply trying to do the right thing by intervening in a domestic incident.” Police did not immediately return messages seeking details on the dispute.
Crump called the police officers’ actions “irresponsible, reckless and inhumane.”
“We all watched the horrific video of Jacob Blake being shot in the back several times by Kenosha police,” Crump said in a statement. “Even worse, his three sons witnessed their father collapse after being riddled with bullets. ... It’s a miracle he’s still alive.”
Wisconsin’s Republican Assembly Majority Leader Jim Steineke cautioned the public and elected officials against “racing towards judgment,” given how few details were known.
“The frustration & anger that many in our communities are feeling must be met with empathy, but cannot be further fueled by politicians’ statements or actions that can stoke flames of violence,” tweeted Steineke, who is white and lives about 140 miles north of Kenosha in Appleton.
For more than 100 years, Kenosha was an auto manufacturing center, but it has now largely transformed into a bedroom community -a residential area in which a large number of people live but do not work -for both Milwaukee and Chicago.
US President Donald Trump’s most influential and longest serving adviser Kellyanne Conway, announced on Sunday that she would be leaving the White House at the end of the month, reports AP.
Conway, Trump’s campaign manager during the stretch run of the 2016 race, was the first woman to successfully steer a White House bid, then became a senior counselor to the president.
She informed Trump of her decision in the Oval Office.
Conway cited a need to spend time with her four children in a resignation letter she posted Sunday night. Her husband, George, had become an outspoken Trump critic and her family a subject of Washington’s rumor mill.
“We disagree about plenty but we are united on what matters most: the kids,” she wrote. “For now, and for my beloved children, it will be less drama, more mama.”
She is still slated to speak at the Republican National Convention this week. Her husband, an attorney who renounced Trump after the 2016 campaign, had become a member of the Lincoln Project, an outside group of Republicans devoted to defeating Trump.
The politically adversarial marriage generated much speculation in the Beltway and online. George Conway also announced Sunday that he was taking a leave of absence from both Twitter and the Lincoln Project.
Kellyanne Conway worked for years as a Republican pollster and operative and originally supported Sen. Ted Cruz in the 2016 Republican primary. She moved over to the Trump campaign and that August became campaign manager as Stephen Bannon became campaign chairman; Bannon was indicted two days ago for fraud.
Conway cited a need to help her children''s remote learning during the coronavirus pandemic as a need to step away from her position. She had remained a trusted voice within the West Wing and spearheaded several initiatives, including on combating opioid abuse.
She was also known for her robust defense of the president in media appearances, at times delivering dizzying rebuttals while once extolling the virtues of “alternative facts" to support her case. Conway was also an informal adviser to the president’s reelection effort but resisted moving over to the campaign.
Her departure comes at an inopportune time for Trump, who faces a deficit in the polls as the Republican National Convention begins on Monday. Her exit was first reported by The Washington Post.
President Donald Trump on Sunday authorized emergency use of convalescent plasma treatment to treat COVID-19 patients.
The announcement came after White House officials complained there were politically motivated delays by the Food and Drug Administration in approving a vaccine and therapeutics for the disease that has upended Trump’s reelection chances.
On the eve of the Republican National Convention, Trump put himself at the center of the FDA's announcement of the authorization at a news conference Sunday evening.
The authorization makes it easier for some patients to obtain the treatment but is not the same as full FDA approval.
The blood plasma, taken from patients who have recovered from the coronavirus and rich in antibodies, may provide benefits to those battling the disease.
But the evidence so far has not been conclusive about whether it works, when to administer it and what dose is needed.
In a letter describing the emergency authorization, the chief scientist for the FDA, Denise Hinton, said: “COVID-19 convalescent plasma should not be considered a new standard of care for the treatment of patients with COVID-19. Additional data will be forthcoming from other analyses and ongoing, well-controlled clinical trials in the coming months.”
But Trump had made clear to aides that he was eager to showcase good news in the battle against the virus, and the timing allowed him to head into his convention with momentum.
He and aides billed it as a “major" development and used the White House briefing room to make the announcement.
Trump also displayed some rare discipline in the evening news conference, sticking to his talking points, deferring to the head of the FDA, Stephen Hahn, and only taking three questions from reporters.
The White House had grown agitated with the pace of the plasma approval. The accusations of an FDA slowdown, which were presented without evidence, were just the latest assault from Trump’s team on what he refers to as the “deep state” bureaucracy. White House chief of staff Mark Meadows did not deal in specifics, but said that “we’ve looked at a number of people that are not being as diligent as they should be in terms of getting to the bottom of it.”
“This president is about cutting red tape,” Meadows said in an interview Sunday on “This Week" on ABC. “He had to make sure that they felt the heat. If they don’t see the light, they need to feel the heat because the American people are suffering.”
During Sunday’s 18-minute press conference, Trump said he thought there had been a “logjam” at the FDA over granting the emergency authorization. He alleged there are people at the FDA “that can see things being held up ... and that’s for political reasons.”
Dr. Joshua Sharfstein said the statement, and Hahn’s silence while Trump said it, “was disgraceful.”
“The FDA commissioner basically allowed the president to mischaracterize the decision and attack the integrity of FDA employees. I was horrified,” said Sharfstein, a vice dean at John Hopkins University’s school of public health who was a top FDA official during the Obama administration.
“This is a promising therapy that has not been fully established,” he said
The push on Sunday came a day after Trump tweeted sharp criticism on the process to treat the virus, which has killed more than 175,000 Americans and imperiled his reelection chances.
Read Also: Global COVID-19 cases surge to 23.3 mn: JHU