TikTok says a video of a man apparently taking his own life that circulated on its platform was spread deliberately by a group of users working together.
The company found evidence of a “coordinated attack” when it investigated why the video was suddenly appearing on the popular short-video sharing app, a TikTok executive told a British parliamentary committee Tuesday.
TikTok scrambled earlier this month to remove clips of the man shooting himself with a gun, raising concerns about the platform’s ability to stop harmful content from reaching its users, many of whom are teens.
Theo Bertram, TikTok’s European director of public policy, said there was a huge spike in the number of clips uploaded to TikTok about a week after the original video was livestreamed on Facebook.
“There’s evidence of a coordinated attack,” Bertrand said. “Through our investigations, we learned that groups operating on the dark web made plans to raid social media platforms including TikTok, in order to spread the video across the internet. What we saw was a group of users who were repeatedly attempting to upload the video to our platform.” The dark web is a part of the internet accessible only through anonymity-providing software.
The users were “splicing it, editing it and cutting it in different ways” and then making new accounts to help spread it, he said.
TikTok users usually look through their own feed or use hashtags to find videos. But these users were clicking on account profiles, apparently anticipating that they would be posting the suicide clip, which is an unusual way to find videos, Bertram said. He gave few other details.
The company wrote Monday to nine other tech platforms proposing that they warn each other about violent and graphic content on their own services.
Bertram’s comments came as TikTok said in its latest transparency report that it took down 104.5 million videos for violating its guidelines or terms of service during the first six months of the year. That’s less than 1% of the total number of videos uploaded for that period.
TikTok’s Chinese owner, ByteDance, is fighting pressure in some of its major markets. In the U.S., TikTok faces a ban later this month from smartphone app stores, followed by a broader ban in November unless ByteDance can persuade U.S. officials it can resolve national security concerns.
Huawei along with HKT Hong Kong and Globe Philippines recently held an online commercial release conference to launch the AirPON solution.
This solution reuses existing wireless sites to build full-fiber access networks for mobile operators quickly and at a low cost, said a press release.
As mobile operators transform from mobile to full-service operations, they face huge challenges in FTTH network construction.
Traditionally, operators had to deploy centralized OLTs in central office equipment rooms and layout massive optical cables to reach users. This required large-scale initial investment and the resolution of complex problems such as ROW acquisition. As a result, network construction has always been time-consuming, expensive, while services have been slow to provision.
Huawei AirPON solution specifically addresses these challenges. “The AirPON solution shortens the optical cables between OLTs and users from over 3 km to below 300 m, greatly improves the efficiency of optical cable deployment, and reduces the ROI period to less than 3 years. With it, operators can reap benefits faster when building full-fiber access networks,” said Gary Lu, President of Huawei Network Marketing and Solution Sales Department.
“HKT would like to replicate the solution to village area or low-rise building in the urban area to extend our Ultra-Broadband coverage. AirPON allows the installation of PON equipment on the rooftop, which can be suitable for PON deployment in low rise old buildings in HK,” said Peter Lam, Managing Director of HKT Engineering Dept Hong Kong.
“Huawei’s AirPON solution helps us to efficiently roll out FTTH networks with simple ROW permitting and site acquisition and enables us to quickly provision fiber broadband services,” added Joel Agustin, Vice President of Globe Philippines.
China successfully sent nine satellites into planned orbit from the Yellow Sea Tuesday.
The nine satellites, belonging to the Jilin-1 Gaofen 03-1 group, blasted off atop a Long March-11 carrier rocket, China's first sea-launched rocket, at 9:23 a.m. (Beijing Time).
The satellites were developed by the Chang Guang Satellite Technology Co., Ltd. Three of the satellites will be used for video imaging, one of which is for China's popular video sharing platform Bilibili and another for the state broadcaster CCTV.
Meanwhile, the other six satellites are push-broom imaging satellites.
The Bilibili satellite has features of low development cost, low power consumption, lightweight and high resolution. It was designed to shoot videos and pictures for popular science.
The satellite can obtain color videos and images with a resolution higher than 0.98 meters. The data will be used to create popular videos, covering fields such as science and technology, humanities, history and education, and will be released on Bilibili.
The nine satellites will provide remote sensing data for the country's land resource survey, urban planning and disaster monitoring services.
The Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center conducted the launch mission.
Developed by the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation, the Long March-11 is the only rocket among China's Long March rocket series that uses solid propellants. It is mainly used to carry small satellites and can take multiple satellites into orbit at the same time.
Tuesday's launch was the 346th by the Long March rocket series.
World’s fastest growing smartphone brand realme will be launching realme C17 globally on September 21.
Bangladesh will be among the first markets where the phone will be launched, said a press release issued on Tuesday.
The Realme C17 is the latest in its C series and only smartphone in the series with 90hz ultra-smooth display.
As a young brand in the smartphone market, realme has already earned massive accolades from the young generation by continuing to introduce top performing phones in an eye-catching packaging at an affordable price range.
Although the C Series smartphones have usually consisted of entry level smartphones of the brand, but they are gradually enhancing the features of the new C series smartphones and turning them into mid-level smartphones at attractive price points. With global users of more than 13.2 million, the C series is bringing great power with style for the upcoming smartphones in the series.
Realme, headquartered in Shenzhen, China, promises that its latest phone in Bangladesh will pack modern tech at a reasonable price point. The phone will be equipped with powerful 11nm Snapdragon 400 series chipset to perfectly boost the power a user needs, along with improved performance and power efficiency.
The latest smartphone will have a massive 6-inch plus display for a fascinating viewing experience, with beautifully placed front camera.
The phone is also set to have a very impressive refresh rate and a powerful battery. The phone will also consist of an AI quad camera setup and will offer various modes to render perfect photos. AI front camera will have AI Beauty mode for flawless selfies. Users will be able to capture 1080p videos with both the cameras as well.
“Since the beginning of our operations in Bangladesh only a few months ago, we have been receiving tremendous amount of love from a rapidly growing number of young customers in Bangladesh. Bangladesh is currently one of our most significant markets in Asia, and we have observed rapid and continuous rise in demand for our tech-trendy products. We are very confident that realme C17 will receive the same amount of love that our previous phones have received,” said Tim Shao, Country Manager of Realme Bangladesh.
Since its emergence merely two years ago, realme has swiftly become an iconic brand for the tech-savvy youth. Since then, realme has released numerous products including robust smartphones and various AIoT products. With versatile range of devices, Realme has reached 61 markets and now boasts more than 45 million global users. Realme plans to launch over 50 affordable AIoT products in 2020 and 100 in the following year to inspire the youth to enable their creativity to flourish. Upholding the promise to offer quality innovative products beyond everyone’s expectations, realme aims to reach over 100 million annual smartphones sales.
Huawei’s 5G Telco Converged Cloud (TCC) Solution won the ‘Best Network Virtualisation Initiative’ award at the summit for its innovative virtual machine and container dual engines.
The 5G World Summit 2020 was held online recently, the company said in a press release on Sunday. Cloudification is the foundation of the 5G network and an irreversible trend for telecom networks, it said.
With the evolution from 4G to 5G, virtual machines (VMs) and containers will co-exist in the 5G network. A unified resource pool is required to implement simple resource management and optimal resource utilisation across the network.
An increasing number of industry applications need to be deployed at edge sites with the large scale commercialisation of 5G. Diversified computing capabilities will be widely used on the network. In order to meet strict network SLA, infrastructure reliability needs to be further enhanced.
Huawei’s 5G Telco Converged Cloud (TCC) is the industry’s 1st hyper-converged infrastructure platform. It features dual-stack convergence (OpenStack and Kubernetes), carrier-grade enhancements, diversified computing capabilities, and automation to help operators’ network cloud platform reconstruction and fast 5G SA network deployment.