Secretary General of Bangladesh District and Divisional Football Association (BDDFA) Tarafder Md Ruhul Amin on Saturday said Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) officials should offer apology to the nation for the football team’s failure in the just-concluded SA Games in Nepal.
He made the comment while exchanging views with journalists at the association office in the city.
BDDFA member Ashiqur Rahman Miku and general secretary of Narsingdi District Football Association Shahinul Islam Bhuiyan were, among others, present on the occasion.
Two-times champions, Bangladesh were miserably eliminated from the 13th SA Games football before reaching the final. They lost to Bhutan 0-1 while played 1-1 draw with the Maldives, beat Sri Lankan 1-0 and confirmed the elimination with 0-1 goal defeat against hosts Nepal in their last league match.
Although Bangladesh made a glorious record of bagging 19 gold medals this time in the history of any SA Games, clinching all 10 gold medals in archery, the frustrating results of football, country’s most popular game, in the month of victory faded the glory.
Bangladesh went to Nepal as one of the favourites for the football title, but they made a frustrating start suffering their first-ever defeat against Bhutan.
“BFF has neither taken any step nor made any comment on their failure and that of the Bangladesh football team in the month of victory. It’s shameful for us. The BFF officials should apologise for it,” Ruhul Amin, also president of Chattagram Abahani football committee, added.
He also demanded re-fixing the structure of Bangladesh football, saying, “If we don’t re-fix it, we’ll never get regular success.”
But, the present football officials are now busy making plans to win the next federation election instead of conducting any proper enquiry into the failure of the Bangladesh team in Nepal, Amin said.
Miku, also deputy secretary general of Bangladesh Olympic Association (BOA), said, “The team wasn’t well-organised during the SA Games. We found some lacking in the team coordination. Besides, the football coach and team management were responsible for it.”
A brilliant hat trick by Sajib Hossain enabled Bangladesh Air Force to crush Bangladesh Police by 6-2 goals in their match of the ongoing Walton Refrigerator Victory Day Hockey Tournament at the Maulana Bhasaani National Hockey Stadium here on Saturday.
Sajib made his hat trick scoring three goals in the 17th, 24th and 53rd minutes respectively, Belal Hossain netted twice in the 2nd and 38th minute while Raju Ahmed scored one goal in the 20th minute for Air Force.
Afsar Ali and Nahid Labu netted one goal each for Police in the 42nd and 51st minutes respectively.
Sunday’s match: Navy vs BKSP (3 pm), Army vs Air Force (6 pm).
At least 17 local sports journalists who are covering the ongoing Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) and eight support staff have fallen sick after taking food provided by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB).
BCB have been providing meals to reporters and support staff two times in a day – first at lunch and then at dinner -- during the BPL matches. A restaurant, Sevenhill, had been the providing the food.
“I took lunch at the BCB on Friday. I fell sick at night. I became unconscious at the washroom at night which is a horrible experience for me. I never went through this sort of situation before,” Zahid Chowdhury, a senior cricket reporter of Maasranga TV, told the media.
Yasin Hasan, sports reporter of Risingbd, also complained of the same. “I needed to go to toilet several times after having BCB-provided food on the opening day of the BPL. Due to the sickness, I couldn’t cover matches for the last two days.”
Dev Chowdhury, a reporter of 71 TV, and Alamgir Hossain, a cameraperson of Jamuna TV, are also suffering from food poisoning.
After receiving enormous complaints, the BCB has finally cancelled the agreement with Sevenhill restaurant and assured journalists of providing fresh food.
“This is really pathetic and embarrassing for the BCB. We’ve already cancelled the agreement with the supplier. We’ll look carefully into the matter in future,” Rabeed Imam, senior communication manager of BCB, told the media on Saturday.
Chattogram Challengers registered their second victory in the ongoing Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) beating Rangpur Rangers by six wickets at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur on Saturday.
Sent into bat first Rangpur Rangers scored 157 runs for eight in 20 overs, riding on 78 runs off 54 by Mohammad Naim.
Rangers scored 25 runs in 3.1 overs in the opening stand before Kesrick Williams took the first wicket of Mohammad Shahzadm, who fell for run a ball nine hitting with one four.
After the dismissal of Shahzad, Tom Abell and Jahurul Islam fell in quick succession, but Mohammad Naim was confident in his end and continued to keep the scoreboard afloat.
Rangers’ captain Mohammad Nabi scored the team 2nd highest 21 runs off just 12 with one four and one six.
Naim, who was looking so comfortable in the middle, was removed by Rubel Hossain scoring 78 runs off 54 featuring six fours and three sixes to guide the team to a fighting total of 157 for eight in 20 overs.
Besides, tail-ender Taskin Ahmed quick-fired four-ball 11 runs with six, L Gregory made 13-ball 11 runs while one down TB Abell scored nine-ball 10 runs hitting one boundary.
Kesrick bagged two wickets conceding 35 runs in four overs while Mehedi Hasan Rana, Rubel Hossain, Ryan Burl and Mahmudllah Riyad took one wicket each.
In reply, Challengers chased the total scoring match-winner 158 for 4 in 18.2 overs with the help of 33-ball fifty by opener Chadwick Walton.
Chadwick and Avishka Fernando scored 68 runs 7.1 overs in the opening stand to make things easier to for Chattigram to seal their 2nd win in the 3rd match.
Chadwick scored 50 off just 34 ball hitting four fours and three sixes, Fernando added 37 runs off 23 with two fours and three sixes while one down Imrul Kayes contributed 44 runs off 33 deliveries featuring three fours and two sixes.
Lewis Gregory took two wickets conceding 27 runs while Mohammad Nabi and Tob Abell bagged one wicket each.
Challengers will play their next match against Sylhet Thunder on Tuesday (December 17) at Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium in Chattogram while Rangers will take on Cumilla Warriors on Wednesday (December 18) at the same venue.
Police in Spain's restive northeast are preparing to ensure that next week's clásico soccer match between Barcelona and Real Madrid won't be adversely affected by a massive protest.
Catalan separatists are planning to gather in large numbers around the Camp Nou and possibly carry out actions inside Barcelona's stadium on Wednesday when Madrid comes to play in one of the most watched matches of the season.
The heads of the regional police in Catalonia said on Friday there would be a combined 3,000 police officers and private security workers paid by the Barcelona club to guarantee the game is played.
"It is a match that requires a special police detail," regional interior minister Miquel Buch said. "The (Catalan regional police) will guarantee access to the match."
Police chief Eduard Sallent said police will establish two perimeters. One will guarantee the buses for Barcelona, Madrid and the referee crew arrive at the stadium. The second will work to allow the public to enter and to prevent potential confrontations between more radical separatists and those who support Spanish unity.
The online separatist platform Tsunami Democratic said this week that more than 18,000 people have signed up to join the protest and buses have been organized to bring protesters to Barcelona from other towns.
Their goal is to use the worldwide television and media coverage of the game to echo their calls for secession from the rest of Spain, and the release of nine high-profile separatists who were recently sentenced to prison terms for leading a failed breakaway attempt by Catalonia in 2017.
Tsunami Democratic said in a message posted on the Telegram messaging service recently that "many of these people, with tickets or season passes as club members, have received instructions to carry out the acts planned for the game."
Sallent said the police are not ruling out an attempt by separatists to interrupt the match.
"One of the situations could be a pitch invasion," Sallent said. "We don't think it is probable, but it is possible, and we have a detail designed for it. The club's private security would be in charge of handling it, but the Catalan police will be there to help."
Tsunami Democratic is a shadowy group whose leaders and operators are not publicly known, but leading separatist politicians, lawmakers, and activists have supported and promoted its use. It developed its own app for smart phones and also uses other messaging services to advocate for what it calls "peaceful civil disobedience."
The platform sends messages to its followers telling them where to gather for protests and what to do.
Tsunami Democratic carried out its first major action in October when it organized a large protest following the guilty verdict for some of the movement's leaders. A call by Tsunami Democratic led to thousands of angry protesters gathering at Barcelona's airpor t. A massive street fight broke out between the most radical protesters and police both outside and inside the terminal, and about 150 flights were cancelled as transport to and from the airport was stopped for hours. Protests by separatists continued each night for a week following the verdict, leaving more than 500 people injured, half of them police officers.
The clásico was originally scheduled for Oct. 26, but fears of a protest at the time led the Spanish soccer federation to agree to the league's request to postpone it.
The decision is now being criticized by some since the protesters appear to have gained time to organize themselves better.
"We are not concerned. We want to play the match with the maximum guarantees of security," Madrid defender Dani Carvajal said. "We don't know if it was an error to postpone it. It is easy to say so in retrospect."
Camp Nou is Europe's biggest stadium with capacity for 99,000 spectators. The clásico is its biggest game of the season. As of Friday, the only tickets not sold out were VIP seats that cost 1,250 euros ($1,390).
Separatist sentiment grew sharply in Catalonia during the global economic recession that hit Spain hard. The 7.5 million residents of Catalonia, which is one of Spain's wealthiest regions, are roughly equally split by the secession question, according to polls and election results.
Separatists have used the Camp Nou to make their voice heard for several years. They shout for "independence" at a set time during matches and sometimes unfurl banners.
Barcelona, as a club, has walked a fine line between supporting the right to expression by its fans and aligning itself with the greater interests of Catalonia, while not supporting secession and trying not to anger its Catalan fans who are not separatists and its millions of supporters across Spain.
"We all share the responsibility to make sure the match is played," Barcelona president Josep Barotmeu said on Thursday.
"We know that Catalonia is going through a complicated moment, but (free expression) is compatible with sport," he said. "We are telling our club members to bring their families, their friends. Between all of us we can make this clásico a celebration of sport and civility."