Protest
Court fails to hear remand hearing against Magura rape accused due to protest
The remand hearing in connection with the rape case of the eight-year-old girl, could not be held due to protest by student at the court premises on Sunday.
The law enforcers failed to produce the accused in the rape case due to security reasons.
As a result, the remand hearing, which was scheduled on Sunday, could not be held.
Earlier, in the day, students brought out a procession from Magura Government Hossain Shaheed Suhrawardy College and marched towards Magura Chief Judicial Magistrate court.
Later, they blocked Dhaka-Khulna highway at Bhaina bus stand.
Ayub Ali, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station, said the mother of the victim filed a case against four people in this connection on Saturday afternoon.
The arrestees were Hitu Sheikh, 50, Sajib Sheikh, 22, Ratul Sheikh, 25 and Zayeda Khatun, 40 of Nijnanduali village in Magura’s Sadar upazila.
The accused were sent to jail when police produced them before the court on Saturday.
Earlier on Friday, a group of students surrounded the Magura Sadar Police Station demanding justice.
The eight-year-old girl, a class III student, was raped when she visited her sister’s in-laws’ house at Nijnanduali village in Magura’s Sadar upazila.
Magura rape: Students blocked Dhaka-Khulna highway demanding justice
She went to bed with her sister at night, but in the dead of night, her sister found her missing and began searching for her.
After a frantic search, the girl was found unconscious a few yards away from the house.
She was initially admitted to Magura General Hospital and later transferred to Faridpur Medical College Hospital as her condition deteriorated.
HC orders completion of Magura child rape trial in six months
On Thursday, she was moved to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) before being shifted to the Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Dhaka.
26 days ago
Police foil madrasa teachers’ attempt to march towards CA’s residence
Police have dispersed a group of madrasa teachers who attempted to march towards the official residence of the Chief Adviser, demanding the nationalisation of independent ebtedayee madrasahs, at the Shahbagh intersection of the capital.
Witnesses said a group of Madrasa teachers from all registered Ebtedayee madrasas under the Bangladesh Madrasa Education Board, brought out a procession on Sunday and gathered in Shahbagh area to press home their various demands, including the nationalisation of independent ebtedayee madrasahs.
Chhatra Dal protests attack on ethnic minority students
Their demands include lifting the stay order on the registration of independent ebtedayee madrasahs, including unregistered madrasas under the madrasa Education Board’s code system, steps to allow pre-primary classes in independent ebtedayee madrasahs like primary schools, drafting a separate policy for independent ebtedayee madrasahs, granting permission for teaching recognition, salary and allowances, approval of the policy for 2025, and taking measures to recruit office assistants like primary schools.
2 months ago
Bhorer Kagoj Closure: Journalists, employees stage protests
Journalists, officials and employees of Bangla newspaper ‘Bhorer Kagoj’ staged protests in front of its office at Malibagh in the capital on Saturday, demanding an explanation from its management for its sudden closure and the settlement of their dues.
Carrying handwritten placards and raising slogans, the protesters expressed their frustration over the decision to shut down the newspaper.
Hasina, her cohorts using laundered money to spread propaganda: Sarjis
During the demonstration, the journalists spoke out against the management’s action and alleged financial irregularities.
Chief Reporter of the daily Khandaker Kawsar Hossain said, “After the editor was arrested, Arun Kumar Sarkar, the resident director of Saber Hossain Chowdhury’s business establishment, assumed the role of executive editor. He and the owners assured us that we would receive everything we are entitled to, but now they have stopped communicating with us.”
Describing the closure as unacceptable, he added, “The organisation has been shut down due to the corruption of the head of the financial department and administration.”
Chhatra Dal leader among 306 sued over attack on Regent Park Resort in Sylhet
The protesters called for the immediate reopening of the newspaper or clearing their dues as per the Eighth Wage Board.
A notice regarding the closure of the daily, launched on February 15, 1992, was hung on its Malibagh office main gate on January 20.
2 months ago
Students for Sovereignty demands withdrawal of ‘false cases’, release of arrestees
Students for Sovereignty, a student platform, has demanded the immediate withdrawal of ‘false cases’ filed against them and unconditional release of all their activists.
They held a protest rally titled 'Protest Against the Unprovoked Attacks by Separatist Tribes and Red Terrorists’ in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Thursday.
We need to move forward beyond ‘ism: Nasiruddin Patwary
The students demanded the arrest of those who are advocating for 'Indigenous’ status, calling the term 'anti-constitutional' and 'anti-national.'
They said there have never been indigenous people in thecountry and there will be none in the future.
The rally also highlighted the issue of the recent inclusion of the term 'Indigenous’ in textbooks by members of a revision committee under the National Curriculum and Textbook Board (NCTB), which they claim violates the country's constitution and promotes separatism.
Demonstration of stranded workers halts traffic for 3 hrs at Karwan Bazar
Muhammad Shamsuddin, a student of Shaheed Suhrawardy College and coordinator of the anti-discrimination student movement, said people claiming to be indigenous are mostly migrants from other countries who have been allowed to stay in Bangladesh.
He said tribes and indigenous people are distinct, and the term 'Indigenous' does not apply to Bangladesh.
They expressed concerns over the activities of ‘separatist’ tribes in the Chittagong Hill Tracts who have been accused of using the 'Indigenous' label as a cover for their separatist agenda.
They claimed that these groups are plotting to separate the region from the rest of the country.
2 months ago
Demonstration of stranded workers halts traffic for 3 hrs at Karwan Bazar
Vehicular movement at Karwan Bazar remained suspended for nearly three hours as a group of stranded migrant workers staged demonstration demanding government steps to ensure their return to Malaysia.
Witnesses said the workers took to the street around 9 am, halting vehicular movement.
The workers were supposed to travel to Malaysia through recruiting agencies on May 31, 2024 but due to ticket complications they were unable to travel.
CNG drivers’ protests cause severe traffic jam at Mohakhali
The demonstration created huge traffic gridlock at Farmgate, Bangla Motor, Panthapath and adjacent areas, causing suffering to commuters.
Traffic Inspector Anwar Kabir said the traffic movement returned to normal around 12 pm after they left the roads.
The protesters later marched towards the Ministry of Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment to press home their demand.
Bhorer Kagoj shuts down operations; workers stage protests
They were staging demonstrations in front of the ministry till the filling of this report around 3 pm.
On October 5, 2024, Dr. Asif Nazrul, Adviser to the Ministry of Expatriates’ Welfare and Overseas Employment said that Malaysia has agreed to receive 18,000 Bangladeshi workers who previously missed the deadline to enter the country.
2 months ago
CNG drivers’ protests cause severe traffic jam at Mohakhali
CNG drivers’ demonstration brought traffic to a standstill in the capital’s Mohakhali area on Monday afternoon, causing immense suffering to commuters.
The drivers staged the protests on Mohakhali-Banani road to press home their various demands at 12:30 pm, halting vehicular movement on the busy road, said Banani Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Russell Sarwar.
Police foil protesters’ march towards Home Ministry
The protesters gathered in front of the Mohakhali BRTA building to voice their various demands including ‘arbitrary detention’ of CNG-run auto-rickshaws and easing restrictions on parking.
The demonstration concluded around 2 pm, after which traffic started returning to normal, said the OC.
Alia Madrasa students block roads protesting court set-up on field
2 months ago
Chhatra Dal protests attack on ethnic minority students
Chhatra Dal’s Dhaka University unit held a protest rally Thursday, demanding justice for the attack on ethnic minority students and the arrest of those responsible.
The protest march started at 4:30 pm from the TSC Square, circled the VC Square, and ended with a brief rally in front of the Raju Sculpture.
Chhatra Dal activists demonstrate at Dhaka University
Leaders from all levels of Dhaka University Chhatra Dal were present at the rally.
Dhaka University Chhatra Dal President Ganesh Chandra Ray said, "Yesterday, some students went peacefully to demand their rights. Another group, claiming to be students, attacked the students of Dhaka University and other universities. Today, when students went to meet the Home Affairs Adviser in protest, police fired tear gas at them. We condemn this."
He addressed the Dhaka University administration, saying, "This is the same scenario as under the Awami League. How can the administration attack students' democratic protests inside a self-governed institution like Dhaka University?"
DU Chhatra Dal announces full committee
He demanded medical treatment for the injured students at Dhaka University and NCTB and called for the attackers to be brought to justice. He also urged the DU vice chancellor and proctor to take public responsibility since the attack took place on the university campus.
Chhatra Dal General Secretary Nahiduzzaman Shipon expressed similar sentiments, saying, "The police attack on students' legitimate movements mirrors the tactics of the Awami League. Our brothers and sisters have been injured. We demand an explanation from the university administration."
2 months ago
Protest at DU: Felani's father recalls harrowing moments of daughter's tragic death
The father of Felano Khatun recalled the harrowing moments of January 7, 2011 on Tuesday, when he watched his daughter lose her life in front of his own eyes after being shot by the Indian Border Security Force.
"They shot my daughter, Felani, like a bird and left her hanging on barbed wire," Nurul Islam Nuru said. He also offered some new details he hadn't disclosed previously.
"She screamed 'water, water' in front of me. BSF allowed me to do nothing . My daughter was brutally killed hanging on barbed wire for five hours," said Nurul Islam.
The protest rally titled 'Protest Against the Killings by BSF on the Bangladesh Border,' was organized by Dhaka University students in front of Raju sculpture on Tuesday at 4:30 pm.
At the protest, Felani's father said, "I have gone for justice countless times. I have only been given assurances. The autocratic Sheikh Hasina had put so much pressure on us that we were never allowed to speak on this matter."
Demanding justice from this interim government, he said, "A fair investigation should be conducted, and just as my daughter was hung on the barbed wire and killed, the killers should also be hung on the barbed wire for justice. No more killings should happen on the border. No mother should lose her child again. We will speak face to face with India. Everyone should stand up against Indian aggression."
Road adjoining Indian High Commission in Dhaka named 'Shaheed Felani Road'
During the event, several Dhaka University students also gave speeches. They demanded justice for Felani and all border killings, called for a fair relationship with India based on justice, and urged for the empowerment of the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB).
Tamhid Al Mudassir said, "Felani hung on the barbed wire for five hours. That day, it wasn’t just Felani who was hanging, but the sovereignty and dignity of the entire Bangladesh was hanging. Through the hanging of Felani, India portrayed Bangladesh as a failed state, that cannot ensure the safety of its citizens. Today, we stand not only for justice for Felani’s killing but also for the justice of all border killings and against Indian aggression."
He added, "We have seen how the BDR massacre and the dissolution of the BDR created Indian aggression. After dissolving the BDR, the BGB was formed, which essentially stands as the border guard but lacks real authority. Their job is just to transport dead bodies across the border. Today, we are here demanding the empowerment of the BGB."
He called for state recognition of the fight against Indian aggression for Abrar Fahad and Felani, stating, "This July revolution is not only for a new political settlement but also for a new foreign policy. Our foreign policy will be based on our dignity and sovereignty."
He urged the government to establish a new foreign policy with India, based on a fair relationship.
Other speakers included Sakhawat Zakaria, Coordinator Mahin Sarkar, Abdullah Arian, and Nafisa Islam, among others.
2 months ago
Doctors protest assault on colleague at Dinajpur Medical College Hospital
Doctors at Dinajpur Medical College Hospital have staged a human chain protest against an assault on a fellow doctor.
They gathered in front of the Dinajpur Press Club on Tuesday morning demanding immediate legal action against the culprits and warning of further demonstrations if no measures are taken.
SUST students protest against discriminatory quotas and high fees
Fellow doctors, alongside other colleagues, have rallied to demand legal action against the attackers and to ensure the safety of medical professionals.
Speakers at the human chain included Gynaecology specialists Professor Ishrat Sharmin and Professor Jahan Ara Begum Munni, Paediatrician Fatema Farzana, and Surgery Department Professor Abdus Salam.
ICT seeks list of Khulna magistrates during July-August protests
Protesters have warned that they will announce new programmes if authorities fail to act promptly. One doctor said, “We will not stand by if action is not taken to protect our safety and dignity as medical professionals.”
The protest stems from an incident on December 26, where Dr Arju Shamima Rahman, assistant professor and Gynaecology Surgeon, was assaulted allegedly by the husband and relatives of a patient.
According to the protesting doctors, the patient had been referred from another medical centre on December 25 and was scheduled for a Caesarean operation on December 26. However, the patient consumed cake and biscuits that morning, contrary to the doctor’s instructions.
Teenager hit by bus dies in Sylhet; road blocked in protest
Concerned about complications and the patient's fitness for anaesthesia, Dr Rahman declined to proceed with the immediate operation. This led to the patient’s husband and relatives shoving and assaulting her in front of the operation theatre.
2 months ago
Postgraduate doctors block Shahbagh again for raising allowance
Postgraduate trainee doctors have again blocked Shahbagh area demanding an increase in their monthly allowance or the 9th grade pay scale.
According to their previously announced programme they gathered at the Bot-tala of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) at 10 am on Sunday to stage demonstration.
They said they will not leave the road until their demand to raise their allowance to Tk 50,000 from 25,000 is met.
Clash on Ijtema ground: Saad’s follower placed on 2-day remand
The trained doctors said living on Tk 25,000 monthly allowance in Dhaka is extremely difficult and to ensure proper patient care doctors must be given an allowance of Tk 50,000.
They also said they faced harassment in various forms for their movement during the Awami League regime.
Tanveer Ahmed, a trained doctor at Dhaka Medical College Hospital, said, "It is very difficult to live on the allowance we currently receive. We are demanding either Tk 50,000 or the 9th-grade pay scale. If our demand is not met, we will not leave Shahbagh."
On December 22, the trainee doctors had blocked Shahbagh to press home the same demand and on December 26, the government increased the allowance by Tk 5,000 to a total of Tk 30,000.
The postgraduate doctors rejected this decision.
3 months ago