Man killed as gas cylinder explodes in Barguna ice factory
Publish- January 22, 2021, 07:45 PM
UNB NEWS - UNB NEWS
A 55-year-old man was killed and around 50 people including two fire fighters fell sick inhaling ammonia gas after a gas cylinder exploded in an ice factory in Barguna’s Patharghata upazila early Friday.
The deceased was identified as Shahjahan Hossain Samrat, son of late Abul Jalil Miah of Badura Village under Parerhaat upazila of Pirojpur.
Most of the injured were women and children in the vicinity of the factory, said officer in charge of Patharghata police station Mohammad Shahab Uddin. The injured were taken to Patharghata Upazila Health Complex, he said.
The accident occurred at around 1:30am on Friday.
Witnesses said the gas cylinder of Mollah Ice Mill suddenly exploded around 12: 45 am in the morning, affecting everyone within a one kilometer radius. Many of them fell ill as they inhaled the toxic gas.
Barguna 2 MP Shawkat Rahman Rimon, UNO Sabrina Sultana and OC Shahab Uddin rushed to the hospital where the ailing were taken after they came to know about the accident.
Patharghata Upazila Health Complex official Abul Fatah said 10 seriously injured were transferred to Barisal Sher-e-Bangla Hospital. Though they are trying their best to treat the injured, he fears the death toll may rise due to shortage of oxygen.
Marufuzzaman, a fireman at the Patharghata Fire Service Station, said two units rushed to the scene immediately after receiving the news. However they couldn’t get too close to the scene of the accident due to toxic smell of Ammonia. Two of the fire fighters fell sick anyway.