A fire that broke out at a slum at Chalantika in the city’s Mirpur area on Friday was put out after hours of frantic efforts.
Anwar Hossain, deputy assistant director of Fire Service and Civil Defence, Mirpur zone, said the fire was extinguished around 9am.
Russell Shikdar, a duty officer at the Fire Service and Civil Defence control room, said the fire broke out at the slum on Mirpur-7 road around 4:11am and it spread fast.
He said 15 firefighting units went to the spot and brought the blaze under control around 5:45am.
Locals said more than 100 shanties were gutted in the fire.
Two people identified as Rabeya, 45, and Shaheen Islam, 35, were injured in the fire. They were taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
It is unclear what sparked the fire.
Brigadier General Sazzad Hossain, Director General (DG) of Bangladesh Fire Service and Civil Defence, visited the spot.
Rahima Begum, 65, a resident of the slum, said she had six hovels at the slum. “I rented out three of them. Me and my family managed to come out when the fire broke out but our television, refrigerator and Tk 17,000 in cash were gutted the fire,” she said.
Zohra Begum, 46, a tenant of Rahima, said she had been living at the shanty with her daughter and son for the last ten years. “I have lost my valuables including television, refrigerator, Tk 6,000 cash. My daughter, a class IX student at Mirpur Ideal High School, fell unconscious as her books were gutted in the fire.”
A portion of the slum in Chalantika on Mirpur-7 road was destroyed in fire in August last year.