Police on Monday pressed the chargesheet against a sole accused, who is currently in jail, within 24 hours of a case filed over the murder of a youth. The chargesheet was submitted to Chief Judicial Magistrate Court Judge Abdur Nur on Monday. The accused Sohel Nurrun Nabi, 26, son of late Altu Mia of Kendua upazila in Netrokona district, gave a confessional statement to the killing before the court, Masudur Rahman, investigation officer (IO) of the case told UNB. On Friday midnight, Sohel allegedly stabbed his sister-in-law Rubel Mia, son of Renu Mia of Itna upazila in Kishoreganj district, to death over theft of bricks from a hatchery in Kouitora area under Sadar upazila in Manikganj. Read: Chargesheet submitted against Regent Chairman Shahed in 2 cases Police rounded him up soon after the murder while the victim’s wife Champa Begum filed a murder case at the local police station in this connection on Sunday.
The Police Bureau of investigation (PBI) on Tuesday pressed charges against former Chattogram Superintendent of Police (SP) Babul Akter and six others in a case filed over the killing of his wife Mahmuda Khanam Mitu. Abu Zafar Md Omar Faruk, inspector of PBI and also the investigation officer of the case, submitted the chargesheet to the prosecution unit of the Chattogram court. On June 5, 2016, unidentified assailants gunned down Babul's wife Mitu at the port city's GEC intersection while she was going to drop her son Mahir Akhter, 7, for a bus of Chittagong Cantonment Public School and College. Read: Babul hired killers at Tk 3 lakh to kill Mitu: PBI Soon after the crime, Babul filed a murder case at Panchlaish Police Station against three unidentified men. The case was transferred to the Police Bureau Investigation (PBI) in 2019 after Mitu's father, himself a retired police officer, filed a complaint against the CMP's mishandling of the case. Read: Mitu murder case: Record statements of Babul's children, says HC On May 12, 2021, the PBI submitted its final report and arrested Babul Akter in another case filed by Mitu’s father and since then he has been in prison. Babul Akhter also filed a ‘naraji petition’ against the PBI report on October 14, 2021. On November 3 last year, a Chattogram Court rejected the final report of PBI in the murder case and ordered it to conduct further investigation.
Anti- Corruption (ACC) on Monday took the decision of approving the chargesheet against former BCB director Lokman Hossain Bhuiyan and former Dhaka South City councilor Mominul Haque Saeed in the casino scandal. Secretary of the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) Mahbub Hossain briefed the reporters. ACC sued BCB Director Lokman, also the former director in-charge of Mohammedan Sporting Club Ltd, on allegations of acquiring assets worth over Tk6.72 crore through his involvement in various illegal activities in October 2019. READ: ACC probes wealth of Ex-MD of Eastern Refinery Rezaul and his wife On the other hand, Mominul was sued for accumulating assets worth over Tk5.60 crore in November the same year. Lokman siphoned off over Tk57 lakh to Australia while Mominul laundered over Tk 78 lakh to three countries: Singapore, Malaysia and Oman.
A Dhaka court on Tuesday granted bail to actress Pori Moni and her two associates in a case filed under the Narcotics Control Act, and fixed November 15 for the hearing on the acceptance of the chargesheet against them. Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Court's acting judge Rabiul Alam passed the order after the three surrendered before the court and sought bail. The other two are Ashraful Islam Dipu and Kabir Hossain. Also read: Two magistrates get another week to explain Pori Moni’s multiple remands Earlier, on October 10, Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Sattabrata Shikder granted bail to Pori Moni and Ashraful in this case. On October 4, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) submitted a chargesheet against Pori Moni and the two others in the case. CID inspector and also the investigating officer in the case, Kazi Mostafa Kamal submitted the chargesheet to Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's Court. Pori Moni was arrested on August 4, following a raid by RAB on her Banani residence. A case was filed against her under the Narcotics Control Act the following day. Also read: Pori Moni granted permanent bail in narcotics case On August 22, she was sent to jail after inspector Kazi produced her in a court on the completion of a day's police remand, her third. On August 31, a Dhaka court granted bail to Pori Moni in the drugs case until submission of the chargesheet. She walked out of jail the following day.
A Sylhet court on Thursday accepted the chargesheet filed by police against six people, including suspended sub-inspector Akbar Hossain Bhuiya, in the Raihan Ahmed custodial death case. Five of the six accused, including Akbar, were produced before Sylhet additional chief metropolitan magistrate Abul Momen this morning. The court also issued an arrest warrant against the absconding sixth accused -- Abdullah Al Noman, who had allegedly helped Akbar flee the country, said Sylhet Metropolitan Police inspector Pradeep Chandra Das. Read: Raihan’s death in custody: SI Akbar among six gets charge-sheeted The other four accused in the case are sub-inspector Hasan Ali, assistant sub-inspector Ahshque Elahi, and constables Harunur Rashid and Titu Chandra Das of the Bandarbazar police outpost. All the accused policemen are currently in judicial custody. On May 5, the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) submitted the chargesheet in the case. According to the chargesheet, Akbar, constables Harunur Rashid and Titu, and ASI Asheque were directly responsible for Raihan's custodial death. On October 11 last year, the 34-resident of Akharia in Sylhet city, was allegedly beaten to death in police custody. His wife Tahmina Akter Tanni filed a complaint at the Kotwali police station the following day, following which an FIR was registered against unidentified people. Four policemen, including then in-charge of the Bandarbazar police outpost Akbar, were suspended on October 12. The three other policemen were also withdrawn from the outpost the same day. Later, the case was transferred to the PBI. Read: Severe wounds caused Raihan’s death, says viscera report
A Dhaka court on Monday fixed September 20 for delivering its judgment in an arms case against Abdul Malek , a driver of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS). Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge Court-3 Mohammad Rabiul Alam passed the order after closing the law-point arguments in the case. Earlier, on March 11, a court framed charges against him in the case. Abdul Malek pleaded not guilty and demanded justice when Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge K M Imrul Kayesh framed charges against him. On January 11, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) submitted a chargesheet in the case. Rab members arrested Malek from Turag area in the city on September 20, 2020 for extortion and running illegal firearms trade in Turag thana area. Based on secret information, an operational team of the Rab-1 battalion conducted a drive at a 7-storey building at Kamarpara under Turag police station and arrested him. One foreign made pistol, one magazine, five rounds of bullets, fake currency worth around Tk1.50 lakh, one laptop and one mobile phone were recovered from his possession. He was allegedly involved in many illegal activities and made huge wealth by transferring employees of different departments through lobbying.
A cyber tribunal in Dhaka on Tuesday accepted charges against photojournalist Shafiqul Islam Kajol in a case filed under the Digital Security Act (DSA). Judge Ash Sams Joglul Hossain of the Dhaka Cyber Tribunal relieved 31 others from the charges after a hearing, and fixed October 20 for framing charges against Kajol in the case. Already enjoying bail from the High Court, the tribunal also granted him bail in the case. Also read: DSA case against journalist Kajol shifted to Cyber Tribunal On April 4, the case against Kajol was shifted to the Cyber Tribunal. Investigating officer Md Rassel Mollah submitted the charge-sheet on March 14. Jubo Mohila League central leader Sumaiya Chowdhury Bonnya filed the case on March 11 last year accusing Kajol of writing defamatory remarks on various MPs on his Facebook profile. He was freed from the Dhaka Central Jail on December 25 last year. On December 17, the High Court granted him bail in two cases filed under the DSA, clearing the way for his release. Also read: Digital Security Act: Charges pressed against Kajol On November 24 that year, the photojournalist secured bail in another case filed against him under the DSA. Kajol had gone missing on March 10, 2020, a day after Magura-1 MP Saifuzzaman Shikhor filed the case against him and 31 others, including Manab Zamin Editor Matiur Rahman Chowdhury. They were sued under the DSA for publishing and sharing an article on social media about expelled Jubo Mohila League leader Shamima Noor Papia. Two other cases were filed against Kajol with KamrangirChar and Hazaribagh police stations under the same act on March 10 and March 11. On May 3, Kajol was shown 'detained' by Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) along the Benapole border after 53 days of his disappearance and was produced in a Jashore court, which sent him to jail.
A Dhaka court on Tuesday fixed November 30 for framing charges against expelled Jubo League leader and casino kingpin Ismail Hossain Chowdhury Samrat in two cases filed under the Arms Act and the Narcotics Control Act.
A tribunal on Tuesday framed charges against 25 accused in a murder case filed over death of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) student Abrar Fahad.